Inverted USBL configuration using ROVL

Hello, I have an application in mind in which an AUV with a receiver has to home autonomously as close as possible to a transmitter mounted on the seabed. I’ve read in the FAQ that “ROV thrusters tend to be electrically noisy, so if the USBL receive head is on the ROV, it has less sensitivity due to the increased electrical noise environment”. Have you evaluated the range accuracy as well as the resolution of the bearing and elevation angles when the USBL receive head is on the ROV/AUV?

I would also like to ask you if, is it possible to have two transmitters in the same area transmitting in alternation (e.g., that every second only one transmits) and to locate them with the same receiver?

Hello,

Let me check into this and I will get back to you.

Thank you,

Hi @narcispr,

Here are the responses:

“Have you evaluated the range accuracy as well as the resolution of the bearing and elevation angles when the USBL receive head is on the ROV/AUV?”

It is not practical because the electrical environment is a function of thruster type, thruster wiring, and routing of the same, ESC type, ROVL placement, etc. There are too many variables to provide a quantitative answer. On the other hand, the warning was theoretical based on experience with a different sonar product, and so far, no one has complained about the ROVL.

“Is it possible to have two transmitters in the same area transmitting in alternation (e.g., that every second only one transmits) and to locate them with the same receiver?”

No – However, it is possible to use multiple receivers with a single transmitter.

Thank you very much for the answers!