Using 2 AUV models to home into a moving target

Hi @gary3184

Please see the answer to your question regarding your ROVL question.

The receiver and transmitter will both operate while either end is moving. The range and direction are updated once per second.

Only one transmitter can be in operation in an area at any given time, but any number of receivers can home in on it. If the range information is important and needs to be stable over long time periods, then all the receiver clocks should be calibrated to the transmitter (directions are in the user manual). If the receiver is rigidly mounted to the AUV, the receiver IMU can be ignored, and the AUV can be guided by the apparent angle outputs of the receiver.

Question

*"I am looking for a low cost USBL that I can use for my 2 AUV models to home into a moving target underwater. I presume I need 2 sets of transmitters and receivers, one for each AUV, and one for each location on the moving target. *

The target is also moving, so can you confirm that the range and bearing can be calculated while both the transmitter and receiver are moving."

Thank you for the information, noted only 1 transmitter can be used in an area. If the 2 auvs, each carrying a receiver, home in using 1 transmitter, what is the minimum slant angle that the transmitter allows ? See sketch.

Regards Gary

Hi Gary,

Refer to the user’s manual, “Best Operating Envelope” diagram, which should be about page 11 depending on which revision of the manual you have. (You can always download the latest version from the website). I’m not exactly sure what you are trying to show in your drawing. However, if I make an educated guess at what you are trying to do, I would say you want to mount the transmitter vertically.

For a homing application like I think you are trying to do, you can operate with the units in any orientation. If the geometry is out of the best orientation from the diagram, the angular accuracy may be reduced but will be directionally correct. As the AUV turns and maneuvers to drive toward the transmitter, the receiver orientation should be automatically rotated into a better orientation.

The transmitter is less sensitive to orientation. The issue here is primarily reduced range if the transducer is obscured by the case and mounting apparatus.

–Don

Thank you for your reply. Noted.